Sunday, August 14, 2005

are we not men?

Highlights of the Devo show:

I learned that when you are wearing a yellow paper jumpsuit and an 'energy dome' it doesn't matter that you get old and fat. It was never a uniform designed for making you look good.

Although the music is quite loud and defiant, the crowd tends to be mild in demeanor (perhaps because it was a room full of dorks?)

Mark Mothersbaugh really looks a lot like Drew Carey.

Their version of Satisfaction is the best there is.

Except for one, all the girls I saw there seemed to be there with dates and most seemed like they expected to be reciprocated in the future for having to endure the evening (not unlike when I made Miss Kate go with me to see Neil Diamond).

The one girl I saw by herself knew all the lyrics to all the songs. When Mothersbaugh threw dozens of bouncy balls into the crowd she REALLY wanted one but didn't get one. The comic book guy who was in front of me, who knew all the lyrics AND appropriate hand gestures, tapped her on the shoulder and handed her a ball. She hugged him three times. Definitely the sweetest example of geek symbiosis I have ever witnessed.


on a personal note, Devo was the first band I ever liked. They didn't quite speak to my particular flavor of maladjusted teen years and were replaced by The Who which afforded me the opportunity to smash a lot more stuff.

also, I got myself a bouncy ball.

14 Comments:

Blogger Sylow_P said...

Has sammy digested the bouncy ball yet?

10:07 AM  
Blogger sparklestone said...

No. He only eats books. He's a member of the Book a Day Club. He is a voracious reader.

10:11 AM  
Blogger sparklestone said...

Judge for yourself on the Mark Mothersbaugh/Drew Carey resemblance .

11:13 AM  
Blogger paintergirl said...

Awww...you go from mark and the gang to Pete and his smashie smashie group.(I just went through my Who phase and wishing Keith Moon was still alive) Funny, my husband kept kis Devo and Who concert tees from the 80's. He can't wear them anymore, but I do, and I love them.
It's sweet how the Devo nerds bonded. Note: I'm very sensitive to being called a geek, nerd is much better.
And yikes to Mark M. looking so..plump.

12:53 PM  
Blogger sparklestone said...

"And hillbillies prefer to be called sons of the soil, but it ain't gonna happen!" -Dr. Hibbert

pg, the carnival aspect of of the event and the way in which I gawked after paying my admission...I am stickin with geek.

1:37 PM  
Blogger sparklestone said...

Wait! Can I call them dweebs?

1:38 PM  
Blogger Sylow_P said...

Anyone who qualifies as a geek should be damn proud of the title.

Dweeb on the other hand, that might actually be your own plateau rank Sparky.

1:55 PM  
Blogger sparklestone said...

I've always thought of myself as more of a dork. From external sources, I seem to be more of a goober.

1:59 PM  
Blogger Sylow_P said...

isn't a goober something you eat?

2:05 PM  
Blogger paintergirl said...

I love it when a man quotes from the Simpsons! Since you added carnival aspect, my geek/nerd comment might be reconsidered.

2:05 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

I've always much preferred Geek to anything else - being a geek seems to imply some sort of hireability, whereas a dork is someone who desperately aspires to geekdom, but just fails tragically. I'm not sure where goober falls in this hierarchy.

definitions from wiki :
1) G.E.E.K. as an acronym came from the United States Military. It stands for General Electrical Engineering Knowledge. It is unclear if this was the origin of the current meaning for geek, or if the acronym was used in a joking way toward the pre-established meaning for geek (a backronym).
2) A person who swallows live animals, bugs, etc., as a form of entertainment at fairs etc. This often included biting the heads off of chickens. The Geek would usually perform in a "geek pit." This probably comes from the Scottish geck, meaning 'fool', in turn from Low German. 19th century

2:07 PM  
Blogger sparklestone said...

Goober is a peanut. Also, according to wiki a Goober is "King of the Geeks."

2:14 PM  
Blogger sparklestone said...

Weird that a post about Devo would end up with a discussion about nerds, geeks, dorks and goobers.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Sylow_P said...

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/goobers.htm

2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

CURRENT TERROR ALERT LEVEL
Terror Alert Level