Tuesday, August 09, 2005

how miss kate freaked me out

We have Ipods. Miss Kate already had one through work, but she will be switching jobs soon and has to give it back. She was pretty attached to it so she had to break down and buy her own, and when she did she suprised me and got me one too. Because she loves me.

I decided to rip some music from the CDs we have here at the office from back in the day before we got XM. When I looked through the selection, I remembered why we moved to XM...the CDs are pure crap. I ended up ripping a couple of songs off of the Dead Man Walking soundtrack, one by Michelle Shocked and one by Johnny Cash.

I listen to music every morning and evening when I am walking the dog, and a few evenings ago I listened to the Johnny Cash song. Kate had to work that evening and I picked her up at the train station and we went out to dinner. While we were waiting for the food, I asked one of the types of questions I often ask: "Guess who I listened to on my Ipod this evening? One hint: I don't think you know this person is on my Ipod."

I cupped my hands over my forehead and thought the name Johnny Cash. Miss Kate sat thinking for a few seconds and then answered. Her voice seemed to be in a slower time dimension as she answered. "JOHHHHNN (she isn't saying Johnny, is she?) NNNNNNYY ccccCCCC (no way is she saying Cash. Johnny Cochran? Johnny Carrabba?)

Of course she did say Johnny Cash. She said it was the name that popped into her head.

I don't believe in ESP. Since the event I have put together that 1) I had played previously played her the Michelle Shocked song and told her that what album it came from; 2) she has seen Dead Man Walking. I never told her I downloaded any other songs from the album and she says she made no connection to that album and didn't know that Johnny Cash was on the soundtrack anyway.

So do you all believe in ESP?

22 Comments:

Blogger Miss Kate said...

I don't believe in ESP, but I guess that I have a pretty good handle on what you're thinking most of the time. For instance, tomorrow when you eat the tuna that I made for your lunch today, you'll think, "This is not Miss Kate's best work."

I don't know where Johnny Cash came from tho.

12:43 PM  
Blogger sparklestone said...

little background for the rest of you.

Miss Kate makes the World's Greatest Tuna Salad.

12:45 PM  
Blogger mary bishop said...

I believe in SP.

When you are close to someone as you and miss kate are, I think you have a huge data base of past experiences and conversations that subconsciously can lead one person to understand the other person's thought processes or help them to make an educated guess what they are thinking....

Not as woo woo as ESP but based on science and facts. (Oh I looked quick and thought I'd typed in farts by mistake!)

These damn glasses!

1:02 PM  
Blogger sparklestone said...

Yeah, mb, that lady has got my number.

Meanwhile, don't think I don't know that you're just sneaking in your pariticular brand of vocabulary to help increase my search string hits.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Formerly known as crackhead said...

I used to always know what my sister was thinking back when we had to go everywhere & do everything together. That's how I know I'm lots smarter than she is.

1:57 PM  
Blogger sparklestone said...

Hmm, crackhead.

What's the reverse of 'damning with faint praise'?

I guess you are praising yourself with faint damn.

2:12 PM  
Blogger Sylow_P said...

Crackhead, what was your sister thinking when she undressed at the doctors office and the Dr started laughing at her?

Wait, was that story about you, or the girl who looks like you?

2:51 PM  
Blogger sparklestone said...

Is this a reference to the bandaid story?

3:00 PM  
Blogger Formerly known as crackhead said...

Sylow, what story are you talking about? I don't think I know that story...

Sparky, I didn't wear bandaids to the Dr. THose were only for dress up.

3:06 PM  
Blogger Sylow_P said...

I distinctly remember a story about a dr snickering when he discovered that in lieu of a bra, crackhead was wearing band-aids.

If this had only been a dream, I would have been there too, which I wasn't.

3:11 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Just to clarify the set up - did you have your ipod on the table, face up, with Johny Cash displayed prominently on it, while asking the question?

6:47 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Alternatively, are you like those people who absolutely can't read quietly? Do you sometimes think with your outside voice instead of your inside voice?

6:48 PM  
Blogger Sylow_P said...

"My momma told me to always wear a proper foundation."

-crackhead

8:06 PM  
Blogger sparklestone said...

Capt, the answer to both questions is no. This is why it was such a shock. There was nothing. No recent conversations about Johnny Cash, no NPR stories we heard about him. Neither of us had even heard that there was some Johnny Cash movie coming out with Joaquin Phoenix until Sylow told me on the phone when I called him to tell him this whole story.

She misinterpreted my stunned look after her guess as me thinking it was the dumbest guess in the world.

There a questions to ask Miss Kate. Had she had any recent experience which made her think of the man? Was I inadvertently doing my Johnny Cash impersonation?

On a side note, right afterwards we tried it again and I told her I was thinking of a state. She guessed Utah, but I was thinking of Wyoming

9:15 PM  
Blogger sparklestone said...

(note to world)

If you say something to Sylow, he will quote it back to you seven years later.

(just so you know)

9:17 PM  
Blogger Miss Kate said...

Sylow's talent at quoting those quotables verbatim is a bit unsettling, as I'm pretty sure he couldn't even see straight most of the time when we were talking.

9:20 PM  
Blogger sparklestone said...

Which brings up a good point, Miss Kate. How the hell would you recognize a verbatim quote from that era?

The fact that Sylow's "quotes" don't have "hey, where did Sylow go...oh, there he is on the floor" in the middle of them makes me skeptical of their veracity.

9:38 PM  
Blogger Sylow_P said...

Go with your gut kids. Your instinct is that that is verbatum, and it is.

Remember, "Is Sylow in the gutter again." is not so shocking a statement, and it therefore has minimal memory scar potential.

Hearing the crackhead talk about using band-aids to keep her nipples in check, that was a little bit shocking to a naive kid from Idaho...

11:14 AM  
Blogger Miss Kate said...

Excuse me, but I am 99% certain that the crackhead did not use that n-word. We are southern girls, remember?

11:19 AM  
Blogger Sylow_P said...

Follow the quotation marks Miss Kate. I mad no claim of the crackhead utering the n-word.

11:24 AM  
Blogger sparklestone said...

I understand that southern girls are all dainty and shit, but what word do they use when you have to refer to that part of the anatomy?

1:09 PM  
Blogger Miss Kate said...

We don't. Conversation closed.

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

CURRENT TERROR ALERT LEVEL
Terror Alert Level