Tuesday, April 19, 2005

the city of my youth

I was told as a kid (by another kid) that if you threw a penny off the World Trade Center it could crush an entire car on the street. Or go right through somebody's head and body. Curious and terrified, I chucked half a pistachio shell over the edge.

The walk from Penn Station to my grandmother's apartment went by Times Square. Back then when Forty Second Street was nothing but sleeze and skank, I managed one time to go into one of the places rather than just look at the pictures in the windows. Inside, I put a quarter into a slot and a window slid open. A woman walked over to my compartment and asked what I wanted. The compartments were aligned in a slight semi-circle so I was able to see what was happening through little windows on the other side of the room. It was sickening. The woman again asked what I wanted and I still said nothing. She said if I gave her two I could touch her. I asked her, "two what?" She said that I knew perfectly well that she wasn't allowed to mention anything about money. I ran out.

I once saw a woman in the street who had jumped from a very high building.

When I was four, a straggly looking man walked up to me with eyes of delight and rubbed my head.

I sat next to an old man at outdoor concert who blew spit bubbles.

Outside a very crowded restroom a woman asked me to watch her baby while she went in.

My grandmother sat us at the very front at a showing of Jacques Brel is Alive and Well... even though people had been sitting for hours holding their seats. We sat on electrical wiring in a place which everyone but my grandmother had deemed to be off limits. As we sat down someone behind us yelled, "they let animals sit here," and my dad turned around and let them know that if they didn't want to be eaten by said animal, they should just shut the fuck up.

7 Comments:

Blogger Sylow_P said...

I've seen your Dad eat.

I would have shut the fuck up too.

8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

new york ain't done with you yet you ingrate

sincerely,
leigh calfee, assistant librarian

11:37 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

When I was young, I took a trip to the CN Tower in Toronto. While not as tall as the WTC was, it's pretty high for Canada (we don't have to build really tall buildings to make up for lack of stature elsewhere). I was told the same story about the penny and death. I decided that while being hit by a penny at terminal velocity would be tragic, being hit by a cooked hotdog wiener falling from the sky would be funny and probably not fatal. I spent some time looking for a hotdog vendor, but they didn't have any at the top.

Interesting cult-movie thing you probably didn't notice, brought to mind by this post- in the movie "Clerks" - Randall and Dante are having a discussion about *stuff* (not the phrase they used, but close enough) mop-ers - the guys whose job it is to clean the stalls after the guys finish their business. The customer who freaks about about the vulgarity is, if you'll notice, buying a roll of paper towel and a spray-bottle of Windex. Odd. Wonder what his job was?

3:18 PM  
Blogger sparklestone said...

First off Capt, I went to Toronto as a kid and I was plenty upset to find out that these freakish foreigners had a building taller than the WTC.

So the least you can do now is rub my face in it instead of being completely wrong.


If you had told me about the *stuff* mop-ers back when that lady told me to give her two, I would have had no idea what you were talking about. I was a clueless kid in a world of skank.

5:35 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

My Lucky Rocketship Elastic Waistband of Knowledge has failed me!
The CN Tower is 1,815 ft, 5 inches tall, whereas the WTC was a diminutive 1,368 ft tall! We needed ours to be bigger because of shrinkage due to cold weather - it's freakin cold in Toronto, eh?

5:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i plan on spending a LOT of time in new york

sincerely,
leigh calfee, assistant librarian

10:09 PM  
Blogger sparklestone said...

Sylow, I told my dad what you said about his eating and he asked, "Is Sylow the one who drank all my liquor?"

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

CURRENT TERROR ALERT LEVEL
Terror Alert Level