Sunday, January 23, 2005

memories from a guy living in a house with a lady from texas and a dog from louisiana

My dad took my sisters and I to Half Hollow Hills East High School for sledding one snowy day when I was around seven. There was a short, steep hill next to the lower tennis courts. Ten years later, I would lose 6-1, 6-1 on one of those courts to a kid named Gunnar in what was probably the high point of my varsity tennis career.

On my first trip, I started heading a little to the right and about half way down the hill I spotted a kid on my right coming towards me. I steered left and looked over my shoulder to check to see if I was out of danger and I was. When I looked back, I was almost at the bottom of the hill heading straight for a man walking perpendicular to the slope. This guy hadn't been riding a sled down the hill, he was riding on a door. It had the hole in it where a doorknob should be. He didn't see me until the last minute, and when he did, his reaction was to ward of the blow by lifting the door he was carrying under his left arm. I received a high-speed, uppercut to the nose with the door.

I remember the snow being covered in blood and a lady running down the hill yelling, "Tissues! I have tissues!" My dad says my nose was flattened across my face from ear to ear.

Yesterday, I was browsing around eBay and I saw this very cool snow bike. It was a very well-made bike with a frame designed to accommodate these enormous rims which had snow tires on them. I showed it to my wife who glanced at it and said, "Who would want to ride a bike in the snow and why?"

Me. And because I am still intrigued by all that crimson snow.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The official DSO(Door Sled Olympics) started in 1971 in Burlington Vt.as it accompanied Ben And Jerrys pro-recycling efforts. The most famous and hall of fame door sledder was Hank "Solid Core" Ostransky. His greatest moment was in 66' in Muncie, Indiana. Traversing a downhill slop near the fairgrounds, Hank was riding his trademark six panel solid cherry security door. As legend has it, he slid under a 62 Impala as it backed out of the lot. Gladys Evans didn't hear Hank as he laid behind the rear wheels before she slowly backed out of the parking stall. The Impala ran over Hanks head. Fortunatley, the ground was soft and Hank's head was pushed into the snow soaked gravel lot. With no injuries, except for permanent tire treads on his forehead, Hank earned his nickname "Solid Core" that day. Hank passed on in 79' losing his life while dining in a malfunctioning hot tub in Beavercreek Co.9

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know Gunnar, but anyone who could take Sparklestone in straight sets must have gone on to greatness. Please share, was this Aggasi or Roddick who took you to the wood shed at old East High? Please don't say it was Tracy Austin.9

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

CURRENT TERROR ALERT LEVEL
Terror Alert Level