Sunday, January 02, 2005

just in case you don't know, i am most certainly not a perfectionist

Since I started this whole blog thing I have looked back at some of my writing from a few years back and a lot of it really surprises me. I don't remember writing some of it and the style also sometimes seem foreign. But I remember me when I read them. I was in a great deal of pain when I wrote the poem in the previous posting. It still pains me to think of those stars and brackets, but I am happy and amazed that I was able to leave myself such a vivid memento of that day. I feel I am a long way off from being able to do that now.

And then I took this personality test. We actually missed the ball drop aspect of the New Year because we were all engrossed in choosing which defines us the most and the least out of options such as Reserved, Obliging, Strong-willed, Cheerful. After about 15 of those, I sensed trouble, because on 90% of the questions I had no idea which words to pick at all. This was confirmed by the final verdict: Perfectionist.

So here I am in 2005 and seemingly not entirely in touch myself. But I feel the ball is in motion. And the person I have by my side is probably the person I would choose for anyone who wanted to get to know themself better. Just so happens to be my wife. Also, there's a group of people out there reading this....well, you know who you are and you get the idea.
Happy New Year.

6 Comments:

Blogger Miss Kate said...

Your writing amazes me, too. I am excited that you are writing almost daily and that I'm getting to know you in a different way than the every day way that we live together.
I like reading your writing from a time before we were together. Sometimes those passages surprise me at how much pain they reveal and they make me ache for you. I like reading those older writings and comparing them to what you write now -- and I'm relieved that I don't sense the pain there.
And I've been trying to reconcile that Perfectionist thing about you -- If we define a Perfectionist as someone with a vision of how beautiful the world can be and who is troubled by all the ways that humans miss the mark on making the world that beautiful, then there you are. Vision and sensitivity, that's you. However, if we define a Perfectionist by the way someone keeps his closet in order, well... there might be something wrong with that test.

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are perfect and you are my friend. Does that make me a perfectionist?

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've read this twice and I have come to the same conclusion: BERRIES!
Blot the stain and dip it in cold water. Rub the spot with a cut lemon, rinse, and air dry. Use prewash stain remover and then launder with warm water.

That's all I'm getting -I'm blocked! I do know the worst joke ever told -maybe that's what is clogging the works, well here it goes and I told you it was the worst ever:

Lost on a rainy night, a nun stumbles across a monastery and requests shelter there. Fortunately, she's just in time for dinner and was treated to the best fish and chips she had ever tasted.
After dinner, she went into the kitchen to thank the chefs. She was met by two of the Brothers. The first one says, "Hello, I am Brother Michael, and this is Brother Charles." "I'm very pleased to meet you," replies the nun. "I just wanted to thank you for a wonderful dinner. The fish and chips were the best I've ever had. Out of curiosity, who cooked what?" Brother Charles replied, "Well, I'm the fish friar." She turned to the other Brother and said, "Then you must be....?" "Yes, I'm afraid so..... I am the chip monk."

God, take me now!

8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Number one sign your not a perfectionist - you spell it PEFECTIONIST in your title. Need I go on? (ninne)

9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've seen this sort of thing many times, ninne. Your bifocals are on the table in the living room next to the green lamp. Then go try again.

Humbly,

Zolxtar,
Lord of Lost Eyewear

9:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So a nun and a fireman are walking down the street. A bell rings and the fireman says "That sounds like a fire alarm to me." The nun responds, "A fire alarm, I think I heard a church bell." Moral of the story - It's not what you are that counts, it's that you answer the bell when it calls you to service.

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

CURRENT TERROR ALERT LEVEL
Terror Alert Level