Tuesday, January 18, 2005

charm bracelets vs. cuffs

This morning I read a "What's In/What's Out" article in a magazine we'd bought over a year ago for the restaurant reviews. I yelled out, "O my god! Ugg boots are In and Pumas are Out!!" And from the other side of the table came, "No. Ugg boots were In in 2004. Now they are Out. Pumas are WAY Out. You, evidently, are WAAAYY Out."

So it shouldn't be a big surprise that we haven't been to the movies in ages. If not for Netflix and TBS's "Nothing But All Of The Back To The Future Movies All-Weekend Extravaganza," I wouldn't see anything.

We saw The Life Aquatic. This evening I called J-Bone and told him I'd seen it and he mentioned that he'd read a review that said that Wes Anderson had done this already. God! I was going to write about how pissed off I was. But now that I have written it down, I am REALLY pissed off! How pissed off? A LOT! The film is a stunning work of art. I feel genuine anger toward the notion that it can be dismissed as 'already been done.' But, then again, I didn't know that Red Bull was out and Pabst Blue Ribbon was in.

8 Comments:

Blogger Sylow_P said...

Actually, Pabst Blue Ribbon is out. Pabst Blue Ribbon Light is in. ($10.40/30 vs. $9.50/30)

8:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

um, so J-Bone has barely seen a movie since he became a daddy, but he reads all the reviews and then gets mad when I haven't heard of a movie. so I think he is out.

And, from what I see here on the ues, Uggs are kinda still in.

9:47 AM  
Blogger sparklestone said...

Ok...I ADMITTED I was Out. But still you gotta use your hepster jargon. What's ues, precious...what's eus, eh?

No, really. Is it short for Avenues. I am clueless.

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why is it everything is either in or out? What's out is trying to declare everything in or out. What's wrong with preferences based on one's own personal tastes? So I like thick lipped coffee cups. Does that mean I'm out because my cup is thick lipped or am I in because I'm drinking coffee? I refuse to live my life trying to fit into some marketers target group where my life's in-nous or out-nous must fit into the whims of some corporate executive want-a-be who's dad got him his job creating ad slogans. Why can't I sit at home, wear my k-swiss, drink my bubble tea, finish my scone, read my blogs and yada yada yada without having to worry about being in or out.9

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ues is upper east side.

"harris as a new yorker" OUT
"harris as a dc suburbanite" IN

personally, i think the most important thing is to know what's in/out and use this information to make the people around you feel bad...thick lipped coffee cups??!? are you crazy? wes anderson movies?!? that is so 2003.

there's a brilliant southpark episode where they find and thaw a man who was frozen in the colorado tundra some 2 years earlier. when he starts talking, no one can understand him, because he's talking about pop culture from what has very quickly become the ancient past.

and i challenge anyone to find a more kickass pair of shoes than my pumas in 4 shades of brown...

j-bone

11:13 PM  
Blogger sparklestone said...

A question about UES (I hope that capitalization/grammar doesn't further brand me as "out.")

Is this only a written convention or do ultrachic New Yorkers risk comprehension for the sake of one syllable?

Of course, it could be a savings of three syllables if you choose to go with the sure to baffle pronounciation of "yooz" or "ooze."

Or maybe it's this: You cannot beLIEVE what I saw a woman wearing on the 'yoo-ayz' yesterday.In Nashville, people would say "that is sooo "Oh Two," referring to the last two digits of a certain zip codes.

I think there are too many transplants in New York.

7:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a written convention only. and perhaps only made popular by craigslist.

and there are too many transplants in nyc, including, i fear, us.

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clay tablet and wet reed out?
Blogging in!

where was I?

signed the guy who wrote stuff then buried in the ground so it could be found two thousand years later.

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

CURRENT TERROR ALERT LEVEL
Terror Alert Level