Thursday, May 05, 2005

keeping the cows out

There is a valley in central California where five bio-regions intersect. Exactly what they are escapes me, but one is definitely desert. In the summer the temperature is often above 110 degrees.

I fixed barbed-wire fences in the valley for a summer. I worked at a nature preserve that had miles of border with ranchland. In some states it the the job of the ranchers to keep the cows in and in others it is the job their neighbors to keep them out. That was my job.

And it was hot.

And the valley is filled with mosquitos. So despite the heat, you are forced to wear long pants, long sleeves and something covering your neck.

Melted snow runs down from the mountains all through spring and summer. During the first major thaw, the valley floods and the fences at all the creek and river crossings are decimated.

I see myself standing waist-deep in the current, jeans and cowboy hat, a cloth bag full of wire clips, a pair of fencing pliers and not a care in the world.

I see myself very happy. It's a kind of happiness that just isn't available to me now.

Don't worry Miss Kate! There are many things I have now that I couldn't have then. Things that are mutually exclusive with being carefree.

I wish you could see me standing there, though.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have a series of photographs in my violin case that are happy and carefree in much the same way. one is of you, separated by only a window, from one of the planet's great culinary experiences.

last night i watched "sideways". i found it a little boring, and the characters detestable. it also really made me homesick for that california vibe. a smart lady i know recently blogged about the connections you form in your late teens and early 20's to people. i think we make similar connections to places, tastes, songs, etc. to this day, if the weather has been bad, and then it breaks and suddenly everything is clear and clean and bright i feel renewed. i can only say that i feel the way i think i felt when it was 2:30 on a friday afternoon, my week of 6 hour shifts at the photocopy shop was over and there was nothing to do until 8 o'clock monday morning except smoke a little, drink a little, eat a little, play a lot of music, and hang out with the people i loved.

however, lest we get too nostalgic, a few things to keep in mind...one is that though it's easy to forget, i don't think any of us were as happy as a fence-tying-sparklestone on an everyday basis. the other, which is easier to remember, is that there are countless blessings that the last decade has provided- and if we're lucky we get to be reminded of those every morning when we wake up.

j

2:09 PM  
Blogger sparklestone said...

Amen, brother!

2:18 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

I'm in the midst of a career change - going to school full time while working full time. I've realized that the industry I'm trying to get into is the one I should have gotten into right out of highschool, but didn't. Trying to make this transistion is extremely stressful, and at 30, I'm not sure I can make it.

For a while I wished that I'd made different choices when I was young, realized that I was heading in the wrong direction and gotten a different education. By now I'd have a good job that I enjoyed, wouldn't be busting my ass with school in all my spare time, would probably be fairly well off. But I probably wouldn't have met the Wife. And none of it would be worth a damn because of that.

3:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too have a series of pictures of you, but I don't remember what they are or when I took them -maybe a door was open? That's what alcohol will do to you.

Anyway, I hate when I get to sentimental.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Miss Kate said...

Is one of us supposed to be a cow in this scenario?

9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the tables have turned here in thistleland. the boys have gotten mushy and sentimental, and our dear miss kate has come to lighten things up. got any fart jokes, miss?

j

8:22 AM  
Blogger sparklestone said...

Good question, j. Maybe if all you bloggers out there ask nice enough, Miss Kate will tell us one of her famous plaisanterie du flatulence.

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

CURRENT TERROR ALERT LEVEL
Terror Alert Level